Thursday 19 January 2012

Janathon day 19: Sometimes running is really tough

I am not a fan of treadmills. The thing I love about running is the freedom of being outside and the opportunity to take in all of the sights sounds and smells along the way. Perhaps this is why I find running on a treadmill so difficult. For me, it is far more challenging both physically and mentally. Although my feeling is that the physical difficulty stems from the fact that I find it so tiresome mentally.
I have to admit; I am starting to feel a little weary 19 days into Janathon and my legs were really sore and aching today. I thought that a stretching session in the steam room would do me some good but only after I’d done my run. I pushed myself on the treadmill and I wanted to stop so many times. The 5k felt like about 50.
Although I ate a lot of food last night, looking back at today, I hadn’t eaten nearly enough or taken in enough water in order to run well. The fuel is so important to allow your body to perform. I wanted to stop after about 30 seconds and I felt so tired. It reminded me of when I’d just started running and I thought back to how determined I was when I started out; wanting to run but I couldn’t do it. I didn’t let it beat me,   persevered and I have achieved things I never thought possible. I gritted my teeth and just kept going but I hate having a constant reminder of how much further you have to go on the screen.
In all honesty I didn’t enjoy my run tonight. The only part that I did enjoy was pressing stop and treading off the treadmill. I finished day 19 with some serious stretching in the steam room and although I’m sleepy, I’m aching less and I’m pleased that I’m still in.

No comments:

Post a Comment