Tuesday 10 January 2012

Janathon day 10: Run Dem Crew Rehearsal

I was disappointed with myself yesterday. I wanted to start the day with a 5k but when I woke up I wasn’t feeling up to it. Tonight I wanted to make up for what I didn’t achieve yesterday. Tuesday nights are Run Dem Crew nights but Run Dem Crew is not waking up again until next Tuesday and I’m telling you, it can’t come soon enough. The RDC family are counting down. I’ve seen tweet after tweet in the last couple of weeks of people desperate to start up again. There have been a few break off groups running together while RDC has been closed but they are just that little too far for me.  What better time to have a Run Dem rehearsal than the Tuesday before we go back? 

Formed by Charlie Dark in the winter of 2007, the Run Dem Crew or RDC for short, is a running club based at 1948 in the arches in Shoreditch.  I say running club but in reality it is more of a running family. A collective of creative heads with a passion for running and the exchange of ideas, we meet every Tuesday and run the streets of London. Yes, we run but we’re not your average running club. It’s about more than running. Running can be a solitary activity but running with  RDC is about being part of a supportive and encouraging network of friends.  

Committed to change and the upliftment of the next generation, RDC works closely with young people across London providing mentoring and advice along with the opportunity to explore London in a safe, unique, positive and supportive environment. It has been an amazing experience to see the RDC youngers  grow and achieve their goals. It shows that if you put your mind to it and have the right support around you, you can achieve whatever you want to. A little encouragement goes a long way and this philosophy applies to life goals as well as running goals!  

I can’t tell you how much I have missed the Tuesday night sessions. I have written about RDC and the impact it has had on me before in this post. Every week I am inspired and motivated and always learn something new from people who are willing to give advice and support in any way they can. Just being surrounded by such inspiring people encourages you to dig that little bit deeper and not give up.
Some of the RDC family at the Greenwich Movember 10k 2011
RDC pants to match my top & a glittery gold moustache


We normally run for at least 45 minutes so I wanted to do a decent run tonight ready for next week. I ran my regular 5k route and then added an extra section to take it up to 8k and putting a big fat tick next to #Janathon day 10.  I am aiming to run 5k each week day this week so this takes me to 11.5k in two days, which is ahead of schedule. The first 2 kilometres were a struggle and my legs were tight but once I got going there was no chance I was giving up.

There were a couple of moments I really wanted to stop but I thought hard about what I need to do in order to achieve my goals and I just kept going. I also thought about how I can help people at Run Dem Crew more as I feel I have gained so much since joining. I’ve always been a little shy to step up and lead a group, scared of looking silly or getting the group lost as I’m not an East London girl but this year I am going to make it my aim to contribute more. I read this on the website and I feel this is so important.

 “RUN DEM CREW IS NOT A SPONGE. PLEASE REPLACE WHAT YOU TAKE FROM IT. IN OTHER WORDS PLEASE GIVE BACK HOWEVER YOU CAN, BE IT THROUGH TIME, ENERGY OR HOWEVER ELSE YOU SEE FIT.”

Run Dem Crew, rehearsal done, I’m no sponge. This year I am going to put in even more than I get out of RDC…away away away, can’t come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment